[Aware-co] Lent for some time, then she murmured an origina

Gohring Dimaio consolatory at armandovale.com
Tue Sep 21 07:24:57 CDT 2010

Airs were deluged with the contents, Hannah Straight Tree fell

back with a laugh. "Now see what you have done yourself! I did not
spill one

drop. You cannot say I did." Cordelia Running Bird burst into
upbraiding exclamations in Dakota,
which, because they wished them to learn to speak

English, was a forbidden language in the school except on Sundays
and on holidays. By an odd mishap

of memory, Cordelia was apt to break the
rule in moments of excitement, and she knew the penalty too well. "Now
you have

talked Dakota, and you must report yourself," Hannah Straight Tree
said triumphantly. "You wished the dormitory girls would have to lie
in bed--now you must lie in bed yourself. You

cannot feather-stitch or speak to anyone."
The unclean

water froze upon the stairs, and Cordelia Running Bird's work of
thawing it with hot water was a long and painful process. When it was
accomplished, though but poorly, she went
upstairs a second time,
passing through
the front hall to the white mother's room to report that she had
spoken in Dakota. "Again, Cordelia? How can you forget so often?" said
the young

white mother in a seriously inquiring tone. The little Indian girl's
excitement had now given place to discouragement.

She was silent for some time, then she murmured an original defense.
"The cross thoughts come in Indian, and I speak them out that way.
Che-cha (hateful) means much
more in Indian than in English. Dakota is my own language, and
it tells me how to scold
just right." "No, dear, just wrong," was the reply. Then looking at
the draggled little
figure with head drooped moodily and smarting hands locked tightly at
the sides, the white mother added, "You have had a cold, hard time
this morning in the hall, I know. Have you been cross about your w