[Cajun-Zydeco] David Greely - Cajun fiddler, solo show on Friday, Nov. 17

robert krumm robplays at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 15:36:28 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,
A friend from Lafayette, LA - David Greely - will be playing a solo show on Friday, Nov. 17 at the Community Center for the Arts in downtown Urbana.  Show time is 7:30pm.
David is one of the best Cajun fiddle players.  An original and long-time member of Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys, David has embarked on a solo career and he's been involved with some very interesting projects in recent years.  As much of a historian as a musician, David has researched and dug into the history of many Cajun songs, and the many nuances of Cajun French.  He's a good storyteller and over the years he has played with just about all of the living masters of Cajun fiddle.
As an added note, I met David at the Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage weeks (known as Balfa Camp), the music camp that I have been attending for several years. Over the years, we've become friends and I have a tremendous amount of respect for David - as a musician, song-smith, storyteller and teacher.  His fiddle playing is infused with blues, swing, and more.  He's a flat-out killer player and has traveled all around the world, collecting stories and songs along the way.
His solo shows are totally unplugged, so expect an up-close, intimate show.  I guarantee that you'll enjoy the show.
We'll be taking donations at the door, with a $10 suggested donation.
Thanks,
Rob

P.S. - Community Center for the Arts is located at 202 W. Main, Urbana.