[cgfc-discuss] Media project / opportunity ! ! !

Darrin Drda d_drda at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 16:03:42 CDT 2004

Hi All,
Back in the spring, I exchanged a few emails with Ian Goldberg, the owner of
the Canopy Club, about coordinating a media project with the IMC and perhaps
other progressive organizations in C-U. Actually, the idea has been floating
around for awhile and has yet to come to fruition, but it represents a great
opportunity to raise awareness of progressive ideas and resources that
should, I think, be taken advantage of.

The idea is this: the main stage at the Canopy Club is located in a
cavernous room that also has two video projection monitors (which have been
used by the IMC during IMCFest, for example). Ian would liike to use these
screens to broadcast alternative media before concerts, as crowds (ie mostly
college folks) gather - similar to the images and ads projected before
movies at most multiplexes. But in this case, Ian, being the progressive
thinker that he is, would like to broadcast thought-provoking, and
awareness-raising images and videos from the left.

The content is virtually unlimited, except that it not be patently
offensive. At this point I'm assuming that Ian will have final say about the
desirability and acceptability of submissions, but my guess is that he's
open to anything that won't get him in legal trouble. We've talked about
"subvertisements" (ala Adbusters), anti-war posters, comics (Channel X in
particular ;-), USA-Today-style graphs or pie charts (about US military
spending, healthcare costs, CO2 emissions, homelessness stats, whatever),
IMC "newsreals", info on HIV testing, colorful educational posters such as
those adorning the walls of the IMC....He was excited about all these ideas,
and surely they represent the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

I will be meeting with Ian tomorrow to go over details regarding size and
format of images, etc. Meanwhile I'm hoping to stimulate interest and
generate ideas within the community, targeting the IMC in particular because
of the alternative / independent media aspect of the project. But If there
are groups or individuals you think might have an interest in this project,
feel free to forward this email.

Basically I'd like people to consider this: if you had a captive, young,
relatively open-minded audience to connect with, what would you like them to
know or become aware of?

If you're interested in helping out with this project, or have images to
submit, or even ideas that could be "worked up" by a graphic designer such
as myself, please let me know.

Thanks for reading and thinking and creating.

Peace,
-Darrin Drda