[Commotion-dev] Preventing Commotion nodes from handing out DHCP?

Preston Rhea prestonrhea at opentechinstitute.org
Tue May 14 20:52:49 UTC 2013

Hello dev team,

Tomorrow, we are going up the Visitation Rectory steeple in Red Hook
to install a co-ordinated distribution layer and Commotion layer
co-location site. BKFiber will install some stock 5GHz and 900MHz
equipment at the top of the steeple, we'll put two Commotion
NanoStations in the middle of the steeple, and all will be connected
by a Ubiquiti ToughSwitch.

The issue: we want the Commotion nodes to not interfere with DHCP
leases. Those should all be left up to the BKfiber infrastructure - we
need to ensure that the Commotion nodes can only receive, never give
out, DHCP leases. This is in line with our multi-layer approach, with
a Commotion community-managed layer hanging off of a
professionally-managed distribution layer. So even if the power goes
out, this should always be the case when the power comes back on.

The question: What exactly should I do to make this happen on the
Commotion nodes? If you can email a precise solution, it will A: help
me since I will be in the steeple all day, and B: help us turn it into
nice documentation for the future.

Thanks!

Preston

--
Preston Rhea
Program Associate, Open Technology Institute