[Community] Fwd: Staffing the IMC

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 22:28:35 CDT 2009

Elizabeth,

I think the apparent contradictions just stem from the multiple uses and
meanings of the word "staff" - whether it's a noun, verb, capital "s" (i.e.
the old working group), lowercase "s" (anyone who happens to have a specific
role, like Joy as Bookkeeper, Chris E. as Building Manager, VISTAs, Interns,
etc.).  I think that is what Jason meant by putting staff in quotation marks
- we are all too aware that it is imbued with all sorts of contradictory and
demanding expectations, and it becomes confusing to talk about.

I'm glad you agree about the importance of having volunteer staffing at the
IMC; Nicole, Jason, and I, along with a few others, are putting in place the
infrastructure and space improvements that will make this happen in an
effective way.  These efforts also extend into the needs addressed by
Community Connections - signage, public access workstations, functioning
library, up to date orientation materials, and perhaps most importantly,
human faces to greet guests, socialize, and recruit active involvement and
membership.  Staffing will not take the form of a working group, but will be
a general IMC effort amongst all working groups; there will be no separate
meeting, because staffing issues will be effectively covered in Steering and
Community meetings.  We also want to avoid the tribalism and special
interest that comes from the culture of separate working groups that often
forget about general IMC needs and collaborative projects.

We've been back and forth mentally about how to approach this, and what
Nicole and Jason were trying to express is that since our last group
discussion we've concluded that the three of us cannot adequately achieve
our goals of improving the sustainability and efficacy of the IMC while
simultaneously bearing the responsibility of staffing the building (in the
sense of volunteer Staff, keeping the building open during a set,
predictable period).  It's not that we haven't tried, or that others have
not expected that of us.  We've collectively done a whole lot of that kind
of staffing, and I know that at least for Nicole and I, we have felt that
the quality of our larger project work suffers.  These tasks - training,
writing grants, improving technology, composing manuals, and developing
programs - require a level of attention without interruption that we have
not been able to devote as much as we would like.  There are specific
problems posed by the use of the Production Room as an office rather than as
a media production and training room, and it has become clear that Nicole
and Jason especially need an alternative office space that is more private
and quiet.  It has become clear to me that trainings have not been as
effective as they could be, because of interruptions, for which I feel rude
when someone comes to the IMC excited about learning something specific and
tangible, and I have to stop repeatedly to take someone to the Bike Project,
shew away a loiterer that is bothering others, or answer questions that
working groups would be better able to answer.  We are getting closer to
solving this.  We are not confident with anyone promoting open hours until
we see a commitment from others to help maintain open hours, as our hours
are often odd by necessity (not choice) - late, on weekends, and overtime as
it is.  Finally, there have been long discussions over the Bookkeeper list
about deterrents for someone keeping the doors open if he/she is in the
building alone - namely, a recent aggressive and unpredictable male visitor
who was making Nicole and Joy uncomfortable.

We are confident that we can do more for the IMC in a lasting way if we pull
away from the day-to-day operations of the building and towards capacity
building, which is actually closer to our VISTA job descriptions.  We are
ready to make it a smooth transition, which will start with others sharing
in the day-to-day staffing responsibilities (as was once done at the IMC,
anyway - under capital "s").  We also are comfortable taking on the tasks of
making this happen, and facilitating its new start - which has impressively
already begun.  Josh has put together a sign up calendar (in progress),
Brian will host a training/orientation on Friday 3/20 at noon, and Chris R.
and the Librarians are already working on the main space and computers.  We
have not intended to mislead or overpromise things to others at the IMC, and
we are not resentful of any misunderstandings on these topics.  We, too, are
learning and creating as we proceed, and at this point we each have
developed some deep observations of the IMC as an organization, our roles
within it, and how it can survive and grow.

Thanks again for your concern and suggestions,
Stephen

Stephen Fonzo
Media Training Advisor
AmeriCorps CTC VISTA