[Community] Production Update - May 2009 Steering

Stephen Fonzo stephen at ucimc.org
Thu May 7 00:12:23 CDT 2009

In the past month, the Production group has continued training sessions of
producing audio for radio; video editing; and general a/v use.

We have plenty of projects that people can work on - interesting video and
audio recorded locally in the past year that has not yet been edited or
viewed/heard on TV, radio, or the Web.

The Production group will share a Champaign Consortium summer youth employee
with WRFU.  The individual in this role will help produce audio content for
WRFU, help train members, and help archive and organize the IMC's existing
audio collection.

Finally, I am completing my term as Media Training Advisor with the IMC in
mid-July.  The Production group has grown considerably and has been great to
work with.  The IMC has a valuable resource by maintaining an actively used
Production Room suitable for training, learning, creation, and editing - and
interfacing with other IMC working groups and their media needs.  There is
still room for progress, and the IMC is currently in the final steps of
selecting the new Media Training Advisor, who will continue to work closely
in all aspects of media training at the IMC.

For the Production group to manage on behalf of the IMC, I am compiling a
list of media skills and questions that IMC members are interested in
learning, to help in drafting a master list and sourcebook in the future.
Please respond to the group at production at ucimc.org with your questions and
interests (also, let us know your existing tech/media skills).

The group is still seeking donations and extra sources of funding to improve
the IMC's production facilities and workstations.

-Stephen

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Brian Dolinar <briandolinar at gmail.com>wrote:

> Print has just put out the May Day/labor issue. BD
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Chris Ritzo <critz1 at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
>> The UCIMC Librarians group began working this month on entering our book
>> collection into LibraryThing (http://www.librarything.com/) which we
>> intend to use as a catalog of our existing books. Zines may also be
>> cataloged as well. Two additional public access workstations were added to
>> the library this month as well. Books are being shelved by category in
>> alphabetical order by author's last name. Category sections are being
>> labeled as they are organized.
>>
>> Books from the collection are now circulating on a self-checkout system:
>> - Select the book you'd like to check out.
>> - If it has a card in the inside pocket, write your name, contact
>> information and date on it, and place it in the small black check-out box on
>> the side table in the library.
>> - If the book does not have a card, use a blank card inside the check-out
>> box.
>> - Return the book to the side table when done to be reshelved.
>>
>> Zines are available for reading in the IMC, but we prefer that they not
>> circulate outside the IMC at this time. If you publish a zine or have zines
>> to donate we are actively looking for donations.
>>
>> This summer we will employ several teens through the Champaign Consortium
>> as a reader's advisory group primarily focused on reviewing and creating
>> zines.
>>
>> Finally, we are planning to host a skillshare conference at the IMC to be
>> held near the end of the summer. We will be soliciting the ideas and
>> involvement of other working groups as planning proceeds.

> --
> Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
> 303 W. Locust St.
> Urbana, IL 61801