[Community] [IMC] Fwd: IMC Space

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Sat Apr 24 14:06:23 CDT 2010

I few pieces of input for the architecture class.  I would appreciate one of
you passing it on to Stewart with our other comments:

Custom furniture made for one specific purpose generally won't work long
term at the IMC and will be disassembled in a few years. What the IMC needs
(and what makes for an interesting design problem) are structures that take
into consideration that we are a public multi-purpose community-controlled
media and arts center.  Therefore things need to be designed to overcome
these contradictions: durbale and light weight, useful and flexible/mobile,
welcoming and secure.

For example, we need to be able to make equipment available, but also secure
- the ability to lock things down at night.  It is just a matter of time
before the shows equipment walks off, or a public access computer.

We need tables, but they need to be able to fold and roll out of the way.
Desks in the production lab would be great, but if they could fold up
against the wall, even better. Desks need to be ergonomic - with at least
the ability to raise and lower the height.

Overall, more ways of dividing the space to make it more intimate are
needed.  And lighting needs to be improved to allow people to just turn on
the local lights they need and not the huge overhead ones.

I would suggest we tell Stewart's class about not only our needs, but our
challenges.

I really hope this turns into a longer term partnership with the
architecture school.  We really need their brains on the mezzanine, how to
make the front entrance more inviting, and improving wheelchair access to
the space.

- Danielle

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Chris Ritzo <chris.ritzo at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's some really cool "folding" tables and chairs on this site:
> http://christyoatesdesign.com/gallery.htm
> maybe they could do something like this? We need chairs & tables.
>
> I'd like to propose that someone invite Stewart Hicks and any working
> groups interested in a project to the Community Connections meeting, next
> Monday at 5pm to talk about the potential projects and partnership with the
> Architecture school. The following Monday woudl work as well, or Steering
> might also be open to discussing this next Thursday.
>

> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Katy Vizdal <katyvizdal at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Shows group has talked about how we would like to have small tables that
>> we could put out for events.  We are often approached with the question of
>> tables by space inquirers and feel it is one of our weaknesses as a venue...
>>  thoughts?
>>
>> Katy
>>

> --
> believed to be clean.