[Community] [IMC] Phone and Services Policy

Elizabeth Simpson elizacorps at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 13:48:06 CDT 2010

Tom-

I doubt that you'd see people doing almost anything that they shouldn't be, in general (except for obvious things like breaking stuff).

Here are clues: if they are in the building after hours and aren't key staff (yes, making a list of these folks is a great idea).

If they are in the finance office and aren't finance group members (also a photo op).

If you notice someone repeatedly on the phone in what looks like a personal way (feel free to check in with the spokes list if you aren't sure whether it's an issue).

If you hear/of someone charging for services related to IMC use.

If you hear someone saying 'I work for the IMC' who isn't Joy, Carol, or americorps (again, photo op)

These policies are being clarified at this time specifically to deal with a few individuals, because we realized that the policies didn't exist in a commonly understaood and documented way. They aren't meant to dramatically change use of the space, but to provide a backbone for this and future instances where someone gets concerned that there is a misuse. Contacting the spokes list or community connections is always a fine first step in trying to address any of these issues, including if it seems like someone is over-policing use.

To be especially clear: it's fine for people to work on whatever they want in the space, and end up makingmoney (e.g. someone recording an album and later selling it). It's only that using IMC resources (equipment, space, etc) to make money directly is not ok without an agreement (e.g. leasing the space for an event).

Hope this helps!
-elizaBeth

I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.
-Harriet Tubman