[Community] [Imc-bookkeeper] IDEAS? Fundraisers Mtg tmw

Elizabeth Simpson elizacorps at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 16:44:55 CST 2010

Hi Austin and all,

The key piece that I don't yet see in the plan (which looks great) is general outreach (sounds boring, without it you can't do fundraising). Really, this is the cornerstone of development, and may be already included in your development stuff, but the very basics of developing identity, creating infrastucture: verbage, sign in sheets, newsletters, nametags, logo, brochures, pins, business cards, and then making contacts: letters to the editor, city council presentations, person-to-person- are super key... and much of it doesn't cost money to do.

So, first is the brianstorm of 'what is the imc and what does it offer?' Which is my suggestion for a starting point/activity:

The IMC has chronically been a victim of its own self-supporting nature- people who aren't involved in a particular project don't know about it, and almost no one had a good answer for 'what is the imc?". Really, how many people are aware of the many groups we fiscally sponsor? Of what the working groups do/offer? Of what the working groups are?!? Of the list that Mike L brought to the GMM? (Is that list handy, BTW?) Of why it's beneficial to be a member?

Community connections started doing this work (some of it was captured on our backpage... contact chris r for access)  by brainstorming for each group: what do you offer to IMC members? To the community? To other IMC groups? What does the IMC offer to you?

I recommend this as a starting place. Once we know who we are and what we offer, we can promote that to people who might find it interesting both for participation and to gather support.  This process is called 'developing message' and 'developing audience'. (this 'marketing, and it's not evil unless, like Coke, you are trying to coerce/brainwash people into things).

One VERY important piece is that it is vital for people to have a way to support the IMC without being members. Not everyone wants to be a member, but they might still want to support us- we should allow for this.

Yay IMC!
elizaBeth

learn about my latest project:
Celebrate Urbana People's History Project
www.urbanapeopleshistory.wordpress.com

support Change of State Performance Project!
We work collectively to create engaged performance art which transforms the social environment within and beyond the performance.

http://tinyurl.com/aquatowndonation
(please be sure to designate your donation to Change of State Performance Project)