[Cprb] I want to get involved

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Wed Sep 24 03:06:49 CDT 2003

At 05:07 AM 09/23/03 -0700, Ricky Baldwin wrote:

>Dear friend at the Coalition for Citizen Police Review:
>
>Thank you!
>
>I have just seen one of your pamphlets and I'm so glad
>you're doing this.  I would very much like to get
>involved.  If you have a mailing list, I'd like to be
>on it.  Or if you could let me know when you meet, I'd
>like to try to come.
>
>I was involved in a group advocating a police review
>board in Buffalo, NY, before moving here.  I think the
>work you are doing is vitally important, and I'd like
>to support it any way I can.
>
>I look forward to hearing from you.
>
>Again, thanks, and keep up the good work!
>
>Ricky Baldwin
>801 E. California Ave
>Urbana 61801
>217-328-3037
>baldwinricky at yahoo.com

Ricky, it's me, bud.  We'd be delighted to have you join us.  This is
mostly a Prairie Green thing at this point, and we need much broader
community support.  Anything you can do to help us garner that support will
be greatly appreciated.

For a couple of years we were meeting regularly at the NAACP, but lately we
haven't had regular meetings.  We need to get that going again.  Meanwhile,
sign up for our CPRB mailing list by going to

I think you've done this before, and know the drill.  :-)

We have created lots of documents in the past two years.  A proposal, a
model ordinance, petitions for organizations and individuals to sign (AWARE
signed one, as did the Prairie Greens), and more recently a brochure and a
sample complaint form.  I've attached the proposal, the model ordinance,
and a list of pertinent web sites to this e-mail.  I'll be happy to send
you the rest of the documents if you want them.

At any rate, our challenge now is to take these documents and our brains
and personalities and contacts, and recruit much broader community support.
 We have a sort of "speakers bureau" - people who are willing to go out and
address community organizations about the CPRB and the need for it - but
I'm the only person who has been involved in this coalition since the
beginning, and the rest of you would have to "bone up" on the issue and the
available literature and research.

Guess I've talked enough for one e-mail.  Would love to have you involved,
Ricky.  Welcome.

John (Wason)