[Cprb] Update on meeting...

Walling, Jennifer jwalling at law.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 26 22:43:43 CDT 2004

A couple of updates...

Turns out Carol cannot attend the meeting tomorrow, or on any Tuesday.
(Sorry all, I talked to her a week and a half ago and thought that time was
ok). If someone wants to figure out a later time with her, I will give you
her e-mail.
I am still waiting to try to get in touch with the people from VEYA.  Keep
watching your inboxes tomorrow so you know if they'll be there.

Also, I wanted to tell you all about a couple of people I talked to last
week about the police review.

On Tuesday, I met with Peter Christ, a retired police chief from Syracuse,
New York who heads Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.  He told me a little
bit about his group and also gave some advice on police review boards and
reaching police officers.
There is a police review board in Syracuse, but he says it is ineffective
because they did not get subpoena power.  He says that if we get a review
board with no subpoena power, we have to keep working to win this issue.
Also, it would be a good idea to have review board members attend the
citizen's police academy.
He mentioned that one of the biggest problems in obtaining a review board
and with some police work in general is that police forget that they were
civilians once too.  Also, we should remember that police are employees of
the state.

On Wednesday, an officer from the Champaign Police spoke to my crim pro
class.   It just so happened that I had given a presentation on police
review to the American Constitution Society the day before and another
student in the class asked what he thought about police review.  He said
that he was not comfortable with it.  If review was to be put into place,
he'd rather it be  from other police units.  He literally said, "I don't
want to be reviewed by the people I've put in the penitentiary."  Which I
don't know if he meant that he thinks the people on the board would be
people he'd arrested or if he views non-cops as people that he could put in
the penitentiary.    I think there needs to be more cop education on the
subject.

-Jen