[CPRB] Timeline for CPRB Urbana public forum and publicity campaign

jwalling at uiuc.edu jwalling at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 9 13:09:06 CST 2004

Hey CPRB folks,

Danielle asked me to send out the new timeline that we
discussed at our last meeting.  I put in all of the details
from what we had discussed earlier.

And to condense things, this is going to be what we have to
do at the next meeting (Dec. 16, 6:30 PM, Douglass Branch)

Fundraising
- Make sure that people get called/more letters get sent out
- Need a volunteer to ask our co-sponsors for money
- Talk about possible fundraiser

Getting the word out
- Talk about possible ad campaign.  Find someone to do
graphic design
- Find someone to design a flier and put together a fliering
plan for early January (non-campus) and late January (campus)

Garnering visible public support
- Create an action plan for Jan-Feb canvassing for the CPRb
- Create an action plan for the early March Public Forum

Organization building
- Contact old volunteers and anyone who's signed up for the
meetings before
- Re-contact co-sponsors, try to find more co-sponsors

The Details...

1.  Goal - Raise money for advertising and mailing expenses
Specifically - Raise $1500-$3000 by February 1

Task - Write a fundraising letter and mail it
Due by - DONE!!

Task - Call the folks that have been sent letters
Due by - Dec. 20
Who's going to do it? - Carol, Danielle, and Deja signed up.
Anyone else? (They'll be getting names and a script tomorrow)

Task - Send out more letters
Due by - Jan. 15
Who's going to do it? - YOU!  Please send me names and
addresses of your friends, relatives, cool folks that know
how much we need police review.

Task - Ask Co-Sponsors for money
Due by - Jan. 15
Who's going to do it?  (Danielle, are you still interested?
And Elaine, if you have contacts at some of those places, it
would be much appreciated.)

Task - Possible fundraiser
Due by - We'll talk about this at the Dec. 16 meeting.  If
we're going to do this, we'll have to have all the details
set by mid January.  I'm thinking house party, benefit show,
bake sale, etc.  I don't know if we'll need to do this.

2.  Goal - Getting the Word out about Citizen Police Review
Specifically - I'm estimating that we need to somehow reach
about half of the city of Urbana through publicity.  15,000
people?

Task - Creating an ad/ series of ads to run in all of the
local media
Due by - Feb. 20
Who's going to do it?  Brainstorming will be done at our
first January meeting to determine specifics.  Then we gotta
find a graphic design person who'd be interested.  Anyone
know a good artist?

Task - Create a flier/ print off more brochures
Due by - Mid January?
Who's going to do it? - We'll discuss this at our Dec. 16
meeting

3.  Goal - Garnering visible support for the CPRB
Specifically - Collect 1500-2000 signatures by early March
and hold a televised public forum attended by at least 100
people in early March.

Task - Signature Gathering/Canvassing Campaign Plan
Due by - Jan. 6th meeting
Who's going to do it? - We'll discuss this at our next
meeting and work out a more detailed plan like, which
precincts we're going to hit, who's going to volunteer, how
we're going to recruit volunteers.

Task - Public Forum Action Plan
Due by - End of January
Who's going to do it? - We'll try to get all the details for
this worked out by our Jan. 6th meeting.
This Public Forum is planned for early March.  We'll be
trying to get city council candidates involved.

Organizational Goals

Volunteer and Member Recruitment
Task - Call and e-mail any past volunteers to ask them if
they can still help
Due by - Jan. 6
Who's going to do it? Jen is going to put together a list of
volunteers and e-mail them.  Others will be asked to
volunteer to call people.

Gather more coalition members
Task - Re-contact old coalition members and try to find new
ones
Due by - Jan. 20
Who's going to do it?  I think that Danielle had expressed
interest in contacting old co-sponsors to ask for money.  So
that's a good way to re-contact folks.  New ones we'll
brainstorm at the Dec. 16th meeting