[Cprb] school involvement

Ken Urban kurban at parkland.edu
Tue Mar 2 14:25:48 CST 2004

Beth,

We're not here to attack either teachers or police, only to add a level
of transparency to the police department.  I would think that this is an
issue that might be considered by the Urbana School Board.

There is a great concern amoung people that 'incidents' that formerly
were dealt with by school administrators are now being handled by the
police.  Now, with Champiagn police considering Tasers, I wonder how
long it will be before an outside of school fight ends up with an
injured kid and a huge lawsuit against the city.

Thanks for the note.

Ken

Ken Urban
Assoc. Prof., Computer Science
Parkland College

Office: B129A
           (217)-353-2246

>>> Liberation Education <liberationeducation at yahoo.com> 3/2/2004
12:56:27 AM >>>
Hi-

I was told today (by a teacher) that teachers are
encouraged to file a police report RIGHT AWAY as soon
as kids do anything (this teacher works in an
elementary school and was told this as part of a
district-wide announcement)

This is obviously a factor in juvinile offenses sent
to court.

I wanted you to know, but with a caution that teachers
are very concerned about their safety in the classroom
and a plea not to attack them but work with them on
this.

Beth Simpson
Peer Mediation Coordinator
Urbana Middle School