[Cprb] Referendum idea update

Walling, Jennifer jwalling at law.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 10 13:48:15 CST 2004

CPRB folks,

I just wanted to update you on the advisory referendum idea that we had last
night.

With the political climate the way it is on the Champaign City Council, it
probably will be hard to get them to pass any citizen review.  It probably
will be more effective for us to try to get an advisory referendum on the
ballot for individual voters to vote on.

Turns out we need to get 8% of the people in Champaign who voted for
governor or around 1500 valid signatures.

I have a sample of the petition form.

We'll need to write a question to put on the petition.

We can collect signatures at any time, but the petitions need to be turned
in 78 days before the election.  We can just put "the next general election"
on the petition form, which will cover November or April.

Just something to think about doing.

-jen