[CPRB] This Week's Opportunity

Liberation Education liberationeducation at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 01:56:49 CST 2004

PLEASE FORWARD TO INTERESTED OTHERS

C-U social change agents:

“The Underground Railroad in Mexico”: Black and Brown
Reuniting

is the title of Curtis Muhammad's visit to C-U. The
description of his history and the film he is
presenting are below the stars. This is a 'bottom up'
organizing opportunity worth the taking.

His schedule while here is below this paragraph. There
are many options. Though the film is the same each
time, the dialogues will move forward over the course
of his visit, and so may warrant your duplicate
attendance.

-Beth

“The Underground Railroad in Mexico”: Black and Brown
Reuniting

a film viewing and dialogue with Curtis Muhammad of
the Colorline Project

Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2004

7:00pm Screening of The Underground Railroad in
Mexico, at La Casa Cultural Latina, 1203 W. Nevada,
Urbana
7:45pm Dialogue in response to film at La Casa
Cultural Latina

Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2004

12:00pm
“Black and Brown Unity”
Lunch and learn at African American Cultural Program,
708 S. Mathews, Urbana.
[contact the African American Cultural Program for
details: 333-2092]

4:00pm Screening of The Underground Railroad in
Mexico, at 223 Gregory Hall, 810 S. Wright, Urbana
5:00pm Dialogue in response to film at 215 & 217
Gregory Hall

8:00pm
Screening of The Underground Railroad in Mexico, at
Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory, Urbana
8:45pm Dialogue in response to film at Allen Hall

Thursday, Dec. 2, 2004

Champaign-Urbana community events, check
www.liberationeducation.org for times and locations

Friday, Dec. 3, 2004

“Black and Brown Across the Americas”
12:00pm Lunch and learn at Native American House, 1206
W. Nevada, Urbana
[contact the Native American House for details:
265-9870]

*********************
The Underground Railroad in Mexico is produced by the
Colorline Project. Description of the film and
project:

The film is based on a series of “story circles” where
participants sat together in their community and told
stories about being of African heritage in Mexico. In
addition, the video shows dances and other cultural
aspects of daily life pointing toward what some call
an Afro-Mestizo culture among almost 300 communities
on the Mexican Pacific coast. Yet, during this
process, we also learned there is much secrecy and
denial about the history of African slavery in Mexico.
It is simply not a part of the national story and most
Mexicans living in the U.S. know nothing of this
history.

Most people of color in the U.S. have accepted a
definition of who we are which insists on maintaining
nationalist and ethnic identities as defined by
European colonialists and slave owners. Our goal is
that both Latinos and African Americans can come to
see ourselves in each other. We are calling for a
family reunion.

It is in this spirit that we have produced this video.
We believe that the immigration question is the unity
equation between Africans in the U.S and those who
come here from other parts of the world. It is our
intent that this video be shown to audiences willing
to engage in collective discussion, story circles, if
you will. We see this as part of a national and
international dialogue to overcome the barriers that
separate us and we invite those wishing to participate
in this dialogue to show this video.

co-sponsors: Student Cultural Programming Fee,
Liberation Education, African American Cultural
Program, African American Research and Studies
Program, Asian American Studies Program, Center for
African Studies, Center on Democracy in a Multiracial
Society, Department of Anthropology, La Casa Cultural
Latina, Latina/Latino Studies Program, Unit for Cinema
Studies, and Mexican Student Association

=====
"The offer of History
            is to unravel the web
                         which birthed your bondage.

The offer of History is to create it."

Check out our website to learn more about us, or to invite us to lead a workshop:
www.liberationeducation.org