[CPRB] updates

Walling, Jennifer jwalling at law.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 7 10:42:55 CST 2005

Hey folks,

I just wanted to make sure that everyone was aware that the conference on
Police oversight (www.nacole.org <http://www.nacole.org> ) that was supposed
to be in Miami on Oct. 23-25 was cancelled and moved to Dec. 11-14.  I'm
still planning on going.  It was cancelled because of the hurricane that
went through Miami at that time.

In addition, there's another meeting tomorrow of the Police Review Task
Force (I believe.) in the Urbana City Council Chambers.  I hope everyone can
come.

Lastly, the Illinois Student Senate is thinking about putting this referenda
question on the ballot.  Any thoughts?

Question 1:

Do you support the creation of a Policy Review Board to be created to review
complaints regarding the University Police and review University Police
policies?

Explanation 1:

The purpose of the University Police Complaint and Policy Review Board will
be to ensure fairness in disputes between UIUC students/faculty/staff and
the University Police and work to give UIUC students/faculty/staff a voice
in University Policing.  The Board would be comprised of only students,
staff, and faculty. The University Police Complaint and Policy Review
Committee, if created, would serve to:  (1) investigate any complaints that
arise concerning the University Police from any University Community member;
and (2) review current University Police policies and make recommendations.

This committee should be comprised of at least 50% students and should have
the power to call witnesses and fully investigate any complaints regarding
police conduct that arise.  Although your vote on this issue is not binding,
it will show the administration the opinion of the student body on this
issue.