[CPRB] Springfield Police Review Commission

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 16:52:14 CST 2005

Thanks, Jen-

These articles are very good to have, as is any future
communication with the City Atty.  Unfortunately they
don't resolve the issue of whether the CPRB itself
would be a mandatory subject.  (Obviously, I think,
disciplinary power would be, if we were asking for
that.)  And, perhaps not surprisingly, the Illinois
Public Labor Relations Act itself doesn't  give us an
answer either -- though it looks like you could read
it that way.  If we were in New York, where I
bargained contracts in the public sector, I could tell
you with some confidence that it isn't.  But we
aren't, so I can't.

But here's a thought I've been mulling over:  (1)
Whatever the City Attorney comes up with, it's
management's perspective.  It may not be the position
we want to take.  (2) And even if a CPRB without
disciplnary authority isn't a mandatory subject, I'd
bet it's a permissible subject.  Again, we're in
Illinois not New York, or I'd lay money on it.  (3) I
think we are all aware that cooperation of police
officers is vital to effectiveness.  (Besides the fact
that I think union rights are basic rights we don't
want to roll over in an effort to protect a different
set of rights.)

So what about our group taking the position that, even
if the City doesn't have to bargain, it should?  I
think that's a conversation we should probably have
off line and in person, as with any bargaining.  But I
think the suggestion itself is harmless enough.

Call me if you want to discuss it before the next
meeting.  I'm all ears.
Ricky
328-3037

http://www.illinoistimes.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A4167