[CPRB] When to meet to discuss CPRB?

Esther Patt epatt at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 27 18:21:34 CST 2006

I spoke with a city council member and got clarification about the changes to the Ordinance that were made during bargaining:

Good news: Only rank and file officers will be affected by the rule that they don't have to appear before the Board.  However, the Chief, Asst Chief and Lt. can be called before the board to answer questions about an investigation.  So, the ability to question the police about police dept. investigation results will still exist.

Not so good news:  While the Gazette story said that the PD will investigate all complaints, it didn't clarify that the Board's power to hire an independent investigator was eliminated.  On the plus side, most complaints will not require an independent investigation.  I believe that's what Jen Walling reported to us from her conversations with people from other cities at the conference she attended a year ago (correc me if 'm wrong, Jen).  But, in those few cases where concern arises about whether an investigation was thorough, the independent investigator option will not be available.

I'd be available to meet next week if folks are around.  If a lot of people are still out of town, perhaps we should try for the week of January 7.   I'm free every night that week except Wednesday the 10th.

Esther Patt