[CPRB] Re: [CUCPJ Announce] City of Urbana & Urbana Police Dept. reach 4-year agreement

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 09:55:35 CST 2006

Hello all.

I've been reading into the case against Sgt. Jon Burge
and during a civil suit the police union tried to keep the
names of Burge's underlings under investigation secret.
A court stated the public had a right to know:

"No legitimate purpose is served by conducting [police internal]
investigations under a veil of near total secrecy. Rather, knowledge that
a number of persons, as well as a state or federal court, may examine the file
in the event of civil litigation may serve to insure that these investigations
are carried out in an even handed fashion, that the statements are carefully
and accurately taken, and that the true facts came to light, whether they
reflect favorably or unfavorably on the individualy police officers involved
or on the department as a whole."

Note that this is in regards to civil suits, but may perhaps be applicable
to internal police investigations or in the case of a CPRB investigation.
I found this on the web page of the People's Law Office in Chicago.

For example, I would not have been able to publicize the charges
against Sgt. Myers
if I had no access to the Sheriff's investigation of him.

Best, BD