[CPRB] Re: Police contract includes both allowances and limits on CPRB

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 31 12:45:15 CST 2006

Thanks, Brandon-

Yes, some of us - me included - are disappointed with
some of the limitations as we had heard of them.
Thanks for your info on the subject.  It sheds a bit
more light on the main questions, which I think are:

Can the board function effectively if police officers
are not required to testify before it?

And, similarly, can the board be effective without the
ability to conduct it's own independent inquiries, if
this is what this language means?  In other words,, if
all the board can consider is the report of the police
department's own internal investigation, what's the
point?

I haven't had a chance to look over the contract, and
thanks for the link - so maybe I misunderstand what
we're talking about.

I'm also concerned that the City apparently negotiated
over composition of the board - and agreed to a
completely unnecessary, arbitrary and unjust
limitation against convicted felons.  I'd be very
interested in the reasoning behind this.  Former
police officers are not barred from being on the
board, are they?  This is very disturbing to me, and
maybe to you, too.

The Coalition will be meeting most likely next Tuesday
night, January 9.   We'll be talking over these
issues, if you'd like to come, too.  I'll announce the
meeting as soon as I can reserve a room...

Thanks again-
Ricky

http://www.city.urbana.il.us/Urbana/City_Council/Agendas/