[CPRB] Meeting Reminder - CPRB Meeting, July 19 at 7PM

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 17:49:01 CDT 2006

I'd like to second Carol's thanks to all of you who
spoke (including Matt, who Carol humbly forgot to
mention :-) -- I saw his excellent comment in today's
News-Gazette, which was by the way exuberant that some
opponents to the proposal have FINALLY turned out,
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2006/07/18/police_supporters_criticize_proposal_for_review_board.)

I think it's worth pointing out that the sudden
appearance of opponents in Urbana after years of
discussion is likely the work of the police union
(just doing their job really as they go into contract
negotiations with the city).

What WE need to do now is OUR job.  That is, as
Danielle says, we need to clearly articulate in every
forum available to us the need for citizen police
review and the basic principles upon which such a
board MUST be founded.  There will be a few more
opportunities to speak at hearings like this, Danielle
says, but we also have the option of (1) letters to
the editor, (2) "Public Square" commentaries on WILL,
and many more...

Let's put our heads together practically tomorrow
night at 7pm!  See you there!

Ricky