[CPRB] Saturday letter

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 15:00:39 CDT 2006

I'd be glad to work on it, with my (very) limited
computer skills.  But maybe I should just help with
the text if someone else can do the fancy html or
whatever...

And here's the letter (sorry, I couldn't find it on
the NG website at first - see above :-) ...

Police review board isn't anti-police
Saturday July 29, 2006

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/letters/2006/07/29/police_review_board__isnt_antipolice
Those opposed to a citizen police review board in
Urbana have described themselves as "pro-police" in
The News-Gazette. As I understand it, a review board
is an impartial group of citizens who are independent
from the police and who investigate complaints and
suggest policy reform. It will help citizens know that
complaints are handled in an impartial way, protect
the police against frivolous complaints and foster
better relations between the police and the community.
To be against such a body because it is "anti-police"
implies that police officers regularly commit illegal
or immoral acts while on duty, and can only be hurt by
having their actions investigated by an independent
and impartial body. It seems to me that a police
department that lawfully and justly executes its
duties would welcome an impartial body to judge its
actions, since it would have nothing to fear from an
independent group, especially one with no actual power
over police policy.
Note that I am not making any positive or negative
claims about the Urbana police. I just believe that
checks and balances are as American as the flag, and
that it isn't unsupportive of an institution to
require accountability from it. In fact, Champaign
should be considering the same kind of review board.
DAN SCHREIBER
Champaign

There was another good one by Matt Murray on July 21
or 22 I believe, but I can't find that one on the
website either.  Sorry.

Ricky
328-3037