[CPRB] recent developments

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 8 10:45:51 CDT 2006

Fellow CPRBers-

Do we need to meet?

While Urbana’s cprb proposal remains stuck in
negotiations with the Fraternal Order of Police –
something I’d like to discuss in itself – there have
also been developments in Champaign that we might want
to discuss.

Rev. Chambers from the NAACP announced at their recent
meeting that a cprb proposal might be in the works in
Champaign, and made it sound like it  was almost as
far along as the one we’ve been working on in Urbana!
Then yesterday’s News-Gazette reported (A-3) that a
subcommittee of the Police Community Relations
Committee has recommended a cprb and Chief Finney says
he isn’t opposed.  (Schweighart still says he is
opposed.)

Some of this has happened before, of course, but it
seems the context is different now.

At the same time, it may not be urgent to meet with
the same faces again.  I propose that we have a
meeting with either Rev. Chambers or Rev. Burks who
was NAACP’s rep on the Urbana Mayor’s Taskforce with
us, maybe with Tracy Parsons, too?   And anyone else
we think we ought to meet with.

I’ll give Rev. Chambers a call – and Rev. Burks – to
see if I can learn more, and if folks think it’s a
good idea see what they think about meeting or what
the next step is in their minds.

What do y'all think?

Ricky
328-3037