[CPRB] recent developments

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 16:41:19 CDT 2006

At 10:54 AM 10/8/2006, Brian Dolinar wrote:

>If its going to be a roundtable
>I suggest CUPJ be invited
>as well as VEYA.
>
>Chief Finney also mentioned
>wanted 3 police members on the board.
>Esp. given the Mayor's position
>its going to take a fight to get a CPRB in Champaign.
>
>We're going to need people willing to make noise
>at City Council mtgs.
>Not just work from behind desks.
>
>BD

There's a time to make noise, and a time to "work behind desks".  It is not
yet time to make noise in Champaign OR Urbana.  We've gotten as far as we
have in Urbana so far totally without "making noise" in the sense of
protest.  The only "noise" made has been the citizen testimony at the City
of Urbana public hearings, which was much appreciated.  But even that was,
to some degree, merely going through the necessary motions.  The rest has
been calm and reasoned discussions behind the scenes with the mayor(s) and
with the city council members.  Now we're in a waiting phase while the
negotiations with the police union drag on.  We monitor the situation, and
if it looks like the CPRB has stalled in Urbana, we apply a little more
calm but determined pressure.

In Champaign we don't even know what the situation is yet, except for what
Ricky has learned through the grapevine.  Nobody has said anything yet
about a "roundtable" or a "fight".

I'm not going to do too much arguing about this, especially over
e-mail.  But I will tell you emphatically that the quickest way to fuck up
what may be a very, very hopeful development is to come across as a "fringe
lunatic" faction, trying to shame or embarrass city officials into making
change and in the process polarizing them, rather than working patiently
and calmly through as many different channels as we can to make the CPRB
happen in Champaign.  The more we can make it look like a broad movement
from ordinary middle class folks of all ethnicities who have never
personally been in trouble with the law, the better chance we have of
getting it done.  Sometimes slow and steady wins the race, and protest is
unnecessary and even counterproductive.

What's more important: the adrenalin rush of protesting the multifarious
evils of society, or getting a Citizen Police Review Board in Urbana and
Champaign without undue fanfare?  I personally am too old for adrenalin
rushes outside the bedroom, and I don't give a shit who gets the "credit".

One of the few wise things my mother taught me was this: "Save your
ammunition for the big things."  This discussion, which seems to be a bit
recurrent, reminds me of the strategic differences during the civil rights
movement between Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and, say, Malcolm X or the
Black Panthers.  There's a place for all perspectives, of course.  And I
want to believe that we all have the same goal in view.  While I would
argue passionately that King and his tactics achieved far more of lasting
value than any of the others, I will concede that it's entirely possible
that he needed the more radical groups in order to appear moderate by
comparison.  But he couldn't openly utilize or approve of their tactics
although he could, privately, acknowledge his debt to them.

We can discuss this more in person if you like.  Meanwhile, Ricky, I do
hope you'll contact the folks you mention below, find out as much as you
can, and get back to us.  As you know, I'm happy to meet with just about
anyone at any time on this issue.

Sincerely,

John