[CPRB] media assault on Champaign PRB underway

Esther Patt epatt at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 13 08:37:15 CDT 2006

Finney and Carter have given the citizens' task force the impression that they support it but are hesitant to be public because the mayor opposes it.  I think someone on the task force pushed Finney to say he'd support it (last Saturday's paper) after Carter said staff had no position (last Friday's paper).

I think they want to send it to the HRC so that the HRC takes the heat instead of the Chief of Police and City Manager.  I think Finney needs to be the one to bring it forward in order for it to pass.  A PRIVATE meeting with him about this, with leaders from the African American community present, would be a good idea.  His main reason for supporting this, to the extent that he does, is to improve relations with the African American community.

Esther Patt