[CPRB] media assault on Champaign PRB underway

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 12:03:56 CDT 2006

At 11:46 AM 10/13/2006, Brian Dolinar wrote:

>You might want to talk to Martel Miller
>about his recent attempt to file a complaint.
>He and a friend went to file a complaint
>at Champ police station
>and were turned away
>refused the right to file a complaint.
>
>All the police reps say the complaint process
>works smoothly
>hence no need for a CPRB.
>
>This is why its important not to just talk to
>accepted leaders in black community
>but also the grassroots.
>
>BD

Excellent point, though at this juncture it would probably be sufficient to
assert that we are aware of individuals who were turned away while
attempting to file a complaint with the police.  We do need to be
documenting the cases, though.  Perhaps CU Citizens could help with that?

At one point we on the Coalition for Citizen Police Review created a sample
complaint form, with the intent of collecting complaints out in the
community that were not being addressed by the Champaign and Urbana police
departments.  Would that be useful?  If so, I can e-mail the file
containing the form to anyone who requests one.

John Wason