[CPRB] Champaign rejects the plan to police the police

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 11:22:48 CDT 2007

Thanks, Karen!

I would add that once again almost everyone who spoke
up from the public was in favor of police review,
including some very well spoken and thoughtful
speeches, but the elected officials not only rejected
the idea of a board - not one spoke in favor of it -
but they voted 5-4 to stop ant further discussion of
it!  Democracy in action.

It seems that a few politicians would like to see
further discussions/meetings of the police advisory
committee that recommended a review board but they
reject the findings of said committee.  (As John
pointed out, this was the third Council-established
commission in Champaign that has recommended police
review.)

In my opinion, it's back to square one in Champaign.

I now look forward to Monday's Urbana City Council
meeting with renewed enthusiasm.

I think that if we try, (1) we can set up an effective
board in Urbana despite the limitations, (2) we can
work on fixing the problems once the Urbana board has
operated for a short time, and (3) we can revisit the
issue in Champaign with the example of a workable
model across the tracks in Urbana, where the world can
be seen not to come to an ignoble end as a result.

It will be up to us.

Ricky