[CPRB] Don't second-guess police

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 11:56:53 CDT 2007

This editorial in NG.  BD
Don't second-guess police after shooting Wednesday July 4, 2007

Recently I have read numerous articles questioning the actions of police
officers during shootouts and hostage situations. As the wife of a police
officer, I am used to hearing a wide variety of "opinions" regarding how
officers should conduct themselves in these situations. But nothing made my
blood boil more than reading The News-Gazette July 1 editorial. To suggest
that police officers were shooting "unprovoked" into a house that contained
several innocent civilians is ludicrous. And to go even further and suggest
that they were shooting "wildly into the house" makes me wonder if the
writer of the editorial even has a clue to the type of firearms training
these officers must participate in and pass.

My husband leaves our family every night to protect and serve you. And every
other police officer in this community does the same thing. They are not
looking for someone to chase after and shoot at. Instead they are placing
their lives on the line to protect innocent civilians from those who have no
regard for the law or human life.

In my opinion, Torriano Johnson went out that night to kill someone. Why are
the police constantly being second-guessed on their ability to stop a
would-be murderer?

CRYSTAL MCCULLOUGH

Dewey

--