[CPRB] oops

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 16:21:04 CDT 2007

I misspoke.  Here's the actual info on Iowa City's
budget (with some data on their cases), so I don't
screw it up again.

Ricky

Iowa City Police Citizen Review Board, Expenses

"Startup costs" that the Board did not have to incur
include office space, desk, chair, and supplies, which
were available for use.

FY98 Actual (startup year):
Permanent Part Time Staff - $12,231
Office Supplies, Office Equip, Printer Ribbons -
$1,061
Attorney Services - $8,736
Other Professional Services, Postage, Meals, Print
Shop Services,
Photocopying, ITS - $2,683

Iowa City Board, Summary of caseload

YEAR		TOTAL
1997-1998 	24
1998-1999	13
1999-2000 	12
2000-2001	06
2001-2002	04 (1 withdrawn)
2002-2003	07
2003-2004	07
2004-2005	05

These cases were ‘resolved’ at various levels of
inquiry:
Level a - on record with no additional investigation
Level b - Interview/meet with complainant
Level c - Interview/meet with named officer
Level d - Request additional investigation by police
chief or city manager or request police assistance in
the Board’s own investigation
Level e - Performance by Board of its own
investigation
Level f - Hire independent investigators

	level	a	b	c	d	e	f
FY
1998		10	3	1	4	6	0
1999		4	0	0	5	4	0
2000		7	1	0	0	0	0
2001		3	0	0	0	1	0
2002		1	3	0	0	3	0
2003		4	0	0	0	1	0
2004		7	3	0	0	3	0
2005		2	0	0	0	0	0

As you can see they initially had some staff, the bulk
of their expenses.  They eventually staffed their
board more like we are, and the costs are now:

Permanent Part Time Staff - Absorbed by City Clerks
office

Office Supplies, Equip, Printer Ribbons - Absorbed by
City Clerks
office

Attorney Services - $1,369

Temporary employee (minute taker)- $44 (Now absorbed
by City Clerks
office)

Other Professional Services, Postage, Meals, Print,
Shop Services,
Photocopying, ITS, legal publications - $668

The FY05 budget is $4,302.  For the most part it's
just Atty Services
($2,944).