[Cu-wireless-alert] bugs bugs bugs

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sat Jul 12 16:47:38 CDT 2003

The newest software has a lot of bugs which I have been gradually finding
and fixing.

There are only two pseudo-terminals, so only two users can log in at once.

There are too few bpf devices, so you have to create a new one before
you can use tcpdump.

I fouled up the way that the kernel taps the wireless interface, so
tcpdump shows some botched-up packets. This one is most serious, but it
will not affect the operation of the network.  We should update all the
nodes soon so that we can do meaningful monitoring with tcpdump.

I did not get the serial console stuff right, so you cannot run a PC
headless and plug in with a null-modem cable to watch/control the boot.

I think I have a solution to a long-standing bug where the IMC node will
try for 10 seconds to get a default route with DHCP, but if it does not
get one, it will never try again.  This is bad because oftentimes our
node has come back up after a power outage before IMC's DHCP server does.
It's been a chief cause of network outages.

I moved root's home directory back to /home/root. /home is a writable
filesystem on the nodes, but / is not.

Dave