[Cu-wireless-alert] 407 W Green Node Status

Rosemary Braun braun at ks.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 13 11:07:41 CDT 2004

Hi.  This is an update on the situation at 407 W. Green, just to bring
everyone onto the same proverbial page.

The short story is that the node is currently up & running using
year-old software; with the new software, something (still undetermined)
wasn't stable.

A few weeks back, I got from Sascha the new CD.  It sat unused for a
while for reasons involving fallen plaster and foreign guests.  Last week,
we created a boot floppy from the CD and rebooted the node.

It wasn't stable; I have the node connected to a DLink wireless access
point, and although the node gave the DLink a dhcp address at first
it got lost... and the node didn't serve another.  We gave the Dlink a
static IP address on the node's local net (10.163.94/24) and established
connectivity again; then that, too, was lost.  Further investigations
were stymied by a laptop that we were using as a serial terminal that
wouldn't stay up.  Paul Kennedy can fill in the details here if needs be.

On Dave Young's advice we rebooted it with the old software this weekend.
It served (as it has in the past) a dhcp address, and was routing traffic
properly to the IMC's node.  At the time we tested it, we weren't
able to get past the IMC's node to the internet; this was yesterday
and I've not tried it since.  Given the traceroute gives out *after*
the IMC's node I assume we're back on the appropriate channel... yes?
Also found yesterday a boot floppy waiting at my front door, which I
assume duplicates the boot floppy we made.

So, there we have it.  PAK, is there anything I've missed or muddled?

Cheers, everyone, and thanks.
  -R.