[CUWiN-Dev] David Young? or, Sascha?

Sean Fioritto sean.fioritto at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:49:31 CDT 2005

Tim,

You are correct - you need some software; you actually need some sort
of independent machine running the software to act as a gateway. More
to the point, you need a CUWIN box which acts like a cable or DSL
modem to translate the signals into something your computer can
understand. Also, your CUWIN box will increase the signal in your area
and allow other users to join up. I think there is a waiting list to
be added to the network.

This brings up something I've been thinking about: Dual radios, (with
one acting as an AP), or really cheap customer premises equipment are
a must have. In Tim's case, it will cost CUWIN $350 and  some time to
set him up with a node. If we had dual radios, he could be up and
running by simply creating an account for him on a RADIUS server, or
however you wanted to manage that. If CUWIN's software could run on a
wrt54g - 60 dollars later, and Tim is up and on the mesh, assuming the
linksys can get a good link inside his house.

I'm curious as to how hard it could actually be and what is involved?
If we're already talking to an ethernet interface, would it be
difficult to also talk to a wireless interface? Is it as simple as
adding a few things with iptables, (uh, ipfilter?), or is there more
to it? Also, I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks this would be
useful, or has thought about this same problem.

- Sean