[CUWiN-Dev] wlanctl

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Thu Dec 1 15:07:20 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 05:43:38AM -0800, Peter Barry wrote:
> wlanctl displays MAC addresses of adjecent ad-hoc clients (e.g laptop)
> even after the clients have been turned off.  Does wnalctl remember
> the clients? is there a way to get a refreshed list of only existing
> ad-hoc clients?

The kernel "remembers" the clients.  Its memory expires after 30 seconds,
I believe.  That is adjustable using sysctl(8); the parameter is one of
these:

net.link.ieee80211.vap0.inact_run = 300
net.link.ieee80211.vap0.inact_probe = 30
net.link.ieee80211.vap0.inact_auth = 180
net.link.ieee80211.vap0.inact_init = 30

probably inact_probe.  Bear in mind that changing the defaults may
adversely affect your connectivity.

The notion of "existing clients" is not well-defined in an ad hoc network,
because there is no "handshake" between adjacent nodes, and adjacent
stations' beacons are not a reliable indication of their presence
or absence.