[CUWiN-Dev] Re: RFC4193: Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Sat Dec 3 10:02:55 CST 2005

> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 01:04:41AM -0600, David Young wrote:
>
>>I am going to use RFC4193 "unique local addresses" (ULAs) to
>>replace the deprecated IPv6 "site local" addresses on CUWiN routers.
>>See <http://ip-doc.com/rfc/rfc4193> for the definition of a ULA.

Just read through the RFC.  This is nice -- and pretty much eliminates the need
to go through the process of obtaining IPv6 space.  Not to mention having a
really nice (low) collision probability:

P = 1 - exp(-N**2 / 2**(L+1))

[Basically, for a 10,000-node network the chance of duplication is 4.54*10^-05]

The non-global routability is a problem only if there's no coordination among
networks utilizing this numbering regime.  I wonder if this is something that
should be brought up on the "meta" list for discussion.  With a 16-bit Subnet ID
available, it would be easy to set up some sort of FreeNetworks routability.

If nothing else, it would be good to get more people thinking about this.

Nice catch!

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President