[CUWiN-Dev] multiple gateways?

Bill Comisky bcomisky at pobox.com
Mon Dec 12 17:57:14 CST 2005

In lawndale we put up a second gateway (stower) in the old Sears Tower on
the south side of the building facing south; our existing gateway (wtower)
there is on the west side facing NW.  These gateways are plugged into the
same LAN served by the same dhcp server, and as of now have the same SSID
and channel.

Though they face different directions (sector antennas) and have a fair
amount of building in between, their radios can hear each other.  There is
a small amount of overlap on the ground, where one or two nodes can hear
both gateways.  Will CUWiN "do the right thing" in this scenario, or would
it be better to make distinct networks with different channels and/or
SSIDs?

It seemed to work OK for a while, we started with revision 3658.  We were
having issues with hslsd core dumps and losing the default route.  In
light of the many recent fixes, I just upgraded the stower node to
revision 3715 on 8-Dec netbsd snapshot.  hslsd dropped core within a few
minutes, but has stayed up since I restarted it.  However the default
route seems wacky.  Instead of having a default route to the gateway given
by the dhcp server, its default route jumps around, alternately to:

192.168.4.3     # the LAN address of wtower which is still running r3658
169.254.233.14  # standalone node that can see both gateways, which has
 		# a default route to wtower

I think that, when running r3658, the stower node had a route to the
gateway given by dhcp (192.168.4.1).  I seem to remember seeing some
changes to dhcpselect recently, though I don't know if this could be the
culprit.  The stower running 3715 rebooted before I could download the
core file, but if it happens again I'll try and snag it.

Bill

--
Bill Comisky
bcomisky at pobox.com