[CUWiN-Dev] porting to a commodity ap

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Dec 26 19:40:47 CST 2005

CUWiN has modest funding to port NetBSD to a low-priced AP.  Important
factors that should influence our choice include:

        1 product availability & lifetime
        2 hardware reliability
        3 cost
        4 availability of free and complete documentation
        5 multiband 802.11 support
        6 suitability for outdoors (PoE, fits a cheap enclosure,
          reliability)
        7 expansion cardslots, and/or
        8 compelling "extras" such as 802.11n, HomePNA/HomePlug
          (see also, "4. free and complete documentation")

What else?

Candidates for a port include the Netgear WGT634U Wireless Storage Router
(Broadcom SoC + Atheros radio) and the ZyXEL P-330W (Realtek 802.11g SoC).
With improving open-source support for the Broadcom WiFi chips, we can
consider the WRT54G line.