[CUWiN-Dev] macshift - MAC address randomizing obfuscator

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Feb 7 12:26:52 CST 2005

I dunno man, if it was perfectly random, and everyone used it, the
chances of a collision would be "quite low".

Lets assume that for some reason we find it valuable to 'keep' 16 bits
of the 48 bit Mac address.  Then the birthday paradox suggests that we
will only have a collision in 2^16 ( 2√232) machines.

Combine this with being able to re-roll the dice in the case of a
duplicated Mac (well-known art, btw), and mac address space collisions
should become a none-too-fond memory.

Of course, I don't know if/why there is a problem to begin with.

Jim