[CUWiN-Dev] Throughput

Stephen Ronan listsubs at ctcnet.org
Fri Feb 11 14:19:13 CST 2005

Thanks all. Here is some more recent data from Sanjit (and btw, it seems
they found a fair amount of additional bugs once they scaled up over
thirty or forty nodes... if you're relying to some degree on their older
code base, I wonder whether you might run into some of those same bugs
at some point. I'm not myself expert in these matters by any means).

"Roughly speaking, the overall throughput will be halved at each hop
because the radios are half-duplex (they can't transmit and receive at
the same time). On the Roofnet, we've found things are a little worse
than that, because hops along a route tend to interfere with each other.

"Here's a table showing the throughput from 44 of the Roofnet nodes to
the three gateways:

     Hops    Nodes    Avg. TCP Throughput    Roundtrip Latency
       1      18          357.2KB/s                9.7ms
       2      10          112.0KB/s               17.5ms
       3       9           52.8KB/s               43.7ms
       4       7           47.3KB/s               43.0ms

"We're using 200mW 802.11b radios. If you work out the numbers, you'll
notice that the results are significantly lower than the advertised
throughputs for the radios. Accouting for protocol overhead, at
11mbit/s, you'd expect a throughputs of 600KB/s for 1-hop, 300KB/s for
2-hop and 200KB/s for 3-hop. The numbers we see are much worse than that
because the most of the links show significant packet loss. We're also
experimented with 54mbit 802.11g radios and found they actually do worse
than the 11b radios."

 - Stephen Ronan