[CUWiN-Dev] [mattw@seattlewireless.net: [Fwd: [Roofnet-hackers] Fwd: [Madwifi-users] future directions]]

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sun Feb 27 05:06:33 CST 2005

This e-mail (below) is making the rounds.  My own personal interpretation
is that Linux is 2-3 years behind [*] the BSDs in its generic 802.11
support, and it will remain so until Linux kernel developers get their
collective heads out of their collective asses, and pick up the 802.11
subsystem that is called 'net80211' in BSD.

Part of the "major work going on outside the madwifi CVS repository"
that Sam alludes to may be virtual AP support, which he is working on.
VAPs are pretty neat by themselves, but what I think is especially cool
is that the VAP code sets a foundation for things like OPN, MultiNet,
et cetera.

Since the net80211 code can be re-used for all kinds 802.11 cards, a
small advance in net80211 can yield improvements in N drivers, without
N-times the effort.  In the BSDs, there are several drivers under the
net80211 system:

        ADMtek
        AMD PCnetMobile
        Atheros
        Cisco/Aironet 802.11b
        Intel 802.11a/b/g
        Intel 802.11b
        Intersil Prism II / Lucent WaveLAN / Apple Airport
        Intersil Prism54
        Ralink
        Realtek
        TI ACX-100

In Linux, there are just two under net80211:

        Atheros
        Realtek

One finds that in the remaining Linux drivers, there is an astounding
amount of code duplication.  Code duplication means more defects, bigger
object size, inconsistent operation, greater maintenance difficulty,
and a tremendous duplication of programming effort.

Dave

[*] NetBSD is about a year behind FreeBSD---I haven't re-imported in
that long.  Today I spent 8+ hours merging the latest code from FreeBSD.
Work still remains.  It's going more smoothly than I expected!

----- Forwarded message from Matt Westervelt <mattw at seattlewireless.net> -----