[CUWiN-Dev] Re: [CU-Wireless-Support] WISP Authentication

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Fri Jan 21 17:45:00 CST 2005

> I suggest the AMD Au1500 ("Alchemy"; MIPS) processor, which drives the
> MeshCube and (newest) Apple Airport base station.
> http://www.theregister.com/2004/02/24/amd_chip_targets_data_security/

Yeah, it would be nice to port to this.

> Maybe these mobo's are promising:

Could you find out what the per unit cost on these devices is?

> At the moment, I can't find what the mobo in MeshCube is.

We have someone working on a port to MeshCube -- I'm not sure of the specs
myself; but it's adequate to run our software (just expensive).  Also,
they don't (yet) have outdoor enclosures for the device.  But great folks,
we got to talk with them in Denmark when we were there last September.

>>> Is anyone working on grafting in NoCatSplash?  We may attempt this,
>>> although are more hardware-oriented.  Where can the CUWIN kernel conig
>>> file be found?
>>
>> Not yet -- it would be awesome to have you working on this though.
>
> I'd need a platform to test on.  At the moment only have Via Epia.
> Maybe the bootCD or CF image will work on this.
>
> I'm a bit concerned about the vitality of the Nocat captive portal
> project, as few updates lately.  I've found two other options here:
> http://wiki.freenetworks.org/index.cgi/FreeNetRouterProject#head-85553d2d6e2c14f75ea15ee9ddf05ff37211ca65

We know some of the folks involved (including Rob) -- my understanding is
that they're all fairly busy at the moment.  If development is stagnating,
it might be worth rolling our own -- though I'd much rather have the
project develop a build for CUWiN's software.

> ... and wondering if y'all have an opinion on either of them yet:
>
> ChilliSpot
> http://www.chillispot.org/
>
> WiFi Dog
> http://www.ilesansfil.org/wiki/WiFiDog

I'm not too familiar with either of these projects, but we know some of
the ilesansfil folks (they're a good group).

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
President                 *   Project Coordinator   *   Policy Analyst