[CUWiN-Dev] critical bug in 0.5.4

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Sat Jan 29 17:46:38 CST 2005

I don't know how we missed this in testing but there is a critical bug
in 0.5.4. The cuw_config stuff has a space separated list of DNS
server names. This list is inserted verbatim into the dhcpd.sip0 file
to be served to dhcp clients connected to the node.

But dhcpd takes a COMMA separated list of DNS servers, not a space
separated list. So dhcpd dies on startup with syntax errors.

My quick fix for this was to untar the tgz upgrade file, edit the
etc/cuw_config file to only have 1 DNS server listed and then retarr
it up and upgrade the node with that. It works great after that.

Depending on how much hassle it is we may want to replace our
published public images with an 0.5.4a that has this quick fix of
simply eliminating the second name server.

For 0.5.5 we need to make sure that the cuw_config subsystem does the
right thing as far as delimiters for the DNS servers. I am still not
convinced it is the right thing to have 2 nameservers listed on the
same line in /etc/resolv.conf. So we should probably have a
resolv.conf with 2 nameserver lines, and dhcpd.sip0 with a comma
separated list.

--
Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://zach.chambana.net/