[CUWiN-Dev] G and A and realworld throughput

Stelios Valavanis stel at onShore.com
Tue Jul 12 01:40:08 CDT 2005

please copy me on replies as i'm not on the developer list.

here in chicago we're about to deploy a 20 node cuwin mesh backhaul network
with cisco APs shooting out to the end users. the ciscos are getting donated
fyi but i did get the metrix kits with dual radios for when cuwin can do dual
radio.

anyway i was warned that using A radios is not tested. i've got atheros a/b/g
cards for which i believe there are drivers. i'd like to use 802.11a because
the spectrum is less crowded and there are more channels to choose from. so
my first question is whether or not i will have problems with using A cards.

my second question is about real-world throughput. obviously i'm not going to
get all 54Mbps because of network overhead but how does that end up after 3
or 4 or 10 hops to get to your uplink? my understanding is that the bw
doesn't halve with every hop like WDS does.