[CUWiN-Dev] G and A and realworld throughput

Stephen Ronan listsubs0506 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 21:11:57 CDT 2005

Stelios Valavanis wrote:

>i couldn't listen to the metrofi "radio" piece (what the hell is a 'wax'
>file). from their site i see thye are using proprietary wireless with some
>kind of CPE. i wish they had more on the backhaul (my issue here) which i bet
>was in the "radio" piece.

Here's info about .wax files
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4992

You can grab the mp3 files for each show here:
http://www.muppethouse.com/wirelesstechradio/

In particular this is the show with the MetroFi segment.
http://www.muppethouse.com/wirelesstechradio/WTRshow062905.mp3
The MetroFi segment starts at 19:00 minutes with the key part re:
backhaul starting at 23:37

>how does roofnet compare with cuwin?

I think generally speaking they're occupants of the same niche. Perhaps
roofnet could be a little sooner to offer a very cheap mass market
solution for situations where there are rarely if ever more than about 4
hops from the wired gateway and perhaps cuwin is more ambitious in
regard to larger scale deployments further down the road.... but I'm not
expert in either. I've installed roofnet on some netgear routers and
used it at home, have participated in a small and then a 40- node brief
test with it installed on Soekris boxes, and am currently coordinating
some testing of 20 of them at a mixed income housing development. I
haven't installed and used cuwin at all yet. My general sense is that
roofnet is pretty solid at this point on the Soekris boxes, and there
have been some major kinks to work out with the netgear equipment, but
it may not take much longer for that to be completed.

Up till now on the netgear wgt634u, roofnet software has been loaded on
alongside much of the existing netgear software and the latter has been
a moving target with netgear releasing one firmware version after
another with unpredictable results on the roofnet part. The MIT
researchers now plan to cease relying on the netgear software and
replace that portion so that the entire package is more predictable. As
of today there have been some continuing significant problems, but they
found a major problem in the interaction with netgear software this
evening, expect to be able to upgrade the set of 20 boxes we're working
with as of tomorrow, and I'm hopeful that those will then become stable.

In regard to your plan, I'd continue to wonder whether fewer backhaul
nodes with directional antennas that communicate with just a few other
nodes might make sense.

Tangentially, will some of the Cisco equipment be 1300 series that could
be used in bridging mode? If so, I'd wonder if some use of them in that
regard could reduce the number of backhaul hops. But that might not be
necessary or helpful.

In regard to the site, what you sent was helpful but I still have
questions about what it will be like. Are you dealing with lots of
difference in building height and trying to cover buildings from several
angles or is it pretty much up and down one street with relatively
uniform height, thin buildings on each side of the street that you're
trying to cover? Will the nodes mostly or all be on roofs? Would be glad
to see a map (and it might help me think out how one might deal with
similar circumstances in Boston).

I can't answer your question regarding 802.11a distances and 12 dbi omni
antennas and also would also be interested to know the answer. As you
probably know Cisco 802.11a bridges are expected to have 2+ mile links
in a point to multipoint setup with a sector antenna at the root and
outlying high gain directionals. But that's a very different situation.

  - Steve Ronan