[CUWiN-Dev] G and A and realworld throughput

Stephen Ronan listsubs0506 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 20 21:33:31 CDT 2005

David Young wrote:

>>how does roofnet compare with cuwin?
>>

>We have different emphases.  Somebody do correct me if I'm wrong,
>but I believe Roofnet emphasizes research.  It's not about the code,
>it's about writing the research articles, and graduating.  The Roofnet
>of today only has to be reproducible for the duration of the current
>Ph.D. students' schooling.

I don't think the difference remains so pronounced in that regard these
days. One or two years ago when I talked with the principal Roofnet
developer he was clearly already interested in their work being rolled
out to be useful in community wireless networks at some future point but
needed himself to keep very focused on improving the software to get it
ready for that. Now, he and colleagues are quite explicitly focused on
the task, as you phrased it, of working to "enable end-users to build
autonomous networks that meet their community's data communication needs
at a low cost."

But your approaches do seem to differ thus far in CUWiN's more active
attempts to facilitate an open collegial development process inviting
participation of developers far and wide, while the academic environment
may encourage the MIT researchers to focus on resolving software
problems themselves as part of their research agendas. But in regard to
implementation they, like CUWiN, are also are pleased to collaborate
with community groups.

Tangentially, I'm curious what folks know about Locustworld mesh
software? How may that compare with Roofnet and CUWiN?

   - Steve