[CUWiN-Dev] 802.11 beacon strength oscillation

Bill Comisky bcomisky at pobox.com
Thu Jul 21 12:02:03 CDT 2005

I've been trying to do some crude QA on our nodes before they go out the
door; a sanity check to make sure everythings working (pigtail is
connected, etc).  So I've been plugging them in at one end of our lab
space, and looking the received beacon strength at another node at the
other end of the lab with:  tcpdump -ne -y ieee802_11_radio

Somes nodes show a steady ~65dB signal level, while a sizable percentage
have beacon levels that alternate between ~45dB and ~65dB, maybe every
20-30 packets.  The behavior seems tied to the radio, switching the radio
could change the behavior.  I haven't started bandwidth testing to see if
there is any difference, but wanted to see if anyone knew if perhaps this
was normal (an 802.11 "thing") or could offer an explanation..

The hardware:
Metrix Mark I
radio == Atheros 100mW b/g minipci,  NL-5354MP PLUS ARIES2(F)

thanks for any insight,
Bill

--
Bill Comisky