[CUWiN-Dev] rfc: fixed bssid

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed Jul 27 12:38:32 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:37:01PM -0500, Bill Comisky wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, David Young wrote:
>
> >We continue to have problems with IBSS splits in networks with Intersil
> >Prism nodes.  As a stopgap measure, I am considering fixing CUWiN nodes'
> >BSSID to the oh-so-clever 02:63:75:77:69:6e.
> >
> >This means that we will not reliably interoperate with Intersil Prism
> >nodes, or any other nodes that induce IBSS splits: Aironet? Lucent?
> >That might not be bad at all.  I think I can restore interoperability
> >with a more permanent future fix.
> >
> >Thoughts?
>
> If you fix the BSSID would the problematic chipsets still be able to
> split?

Yes.  The advantage is that the non-problematic chipsets would not join
the problematic ones' splits.

> Curious, if one node with a fixed BSSID were introduced to an existing
> network of non-fixed BSSIDs (all same SSID) would the new BSSID propagate
> (IBSS merges), or would two separate BSSID networks coexist?

Two separate BSSID networks would coexist.  You would have to update
the whole network to make it merge.  There are ways we could force
non-problematic nodes to merge, but that's more code to write and test.