[CUWiN-Dev] Re: Introductions, CuWIN and Wifidog

Michael Lenczner mlenczner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 10:59:00 CDT 2005

Hi,

Sascha asked me to write you guys.  I'm from the Montreal group -
IleSansFil.  We developped WifiDog.  Apparently some of you are be
interested in the project?  If you don't know about Wifidog then:

-embedded captive portal - written in C
-auth server - PHP
-central control
-full bandwidth accounting, node heartbeating
-local content specific to each hotspot and to each user (text,
images, audio, rss feeds, flickr via the api)
-doesn't rely on a javascript window, so it works with any platform
with a web browser, including PDAs and cellphones that can only open
one window (as well as consol-based browsers)

We've got 5-6 developpers on the project, with 4 of them fairly - very
active.  2 on the gateway and 2 on the auth server.  Some of the stuff
we're working on short-term are bandwidth throttling / abuse control,
making the auth server more modular, profiles for users, and regaining
MySQL support.

Once we get done with that we're interested in GIS stuff and making
Jabber work on our system so that we have location-specific (and/or
possibly gis specific) chat-rooms.  Or maybe that's just what I'm
interested in ;-)

We've got 50 hotspots and 5500 users - so we deal with bugs fairly quickly.

They're is a lot of momentum towards using Wifidog in different
situations and in regards to different goals.  Lots of groups on the
wifidog-dev mailing list right now (Paris, London, NYC -about to setup
wifidog, Toronto and BCwireless (both with wifidog auth servers).
London is very interested in marrying captive portals with the
freifunk firmware.  If we can help out in any way, please don't be shy
about asking.

I'm responsable for administration.  Technical questions would be much
better off sent to the wifidog mailing list, not to me.

Sincerely,
Michael Lenczner

Some links:

http://www.ilesansfil.org/wiki/WiFiDog

http://auth.ilesansfil.org  - our live auth server

http://auth.ilesansfil.org/portal/index.php?gw_id=19 - one of our
portal pages.  Notice the list on the left-hand side of users
currently online.