[CUWiN-Dev] tiny research project: cuwin debuggability

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Jun 13 15:52:26 CDT 2005

I need help with a little research project.

I would like for mkstaboot to routinely pack the CUWiN sources and objects
into staboot-cuwin-src-$(date).tgz and staboot-cuwin-objs-$(date).tgz.
If we store these with our releases and our images/upgrades under test,
then it's easy for us to interpret crashdumps and such that come "from
the field."

There's a catch: gcc -g is loading absolute paths into the object files.
That makes it hard to figure out what's going on in a core file that
was compiled w/ sources in, say, /u1/luser/cuwin/src/, when you have
extracted the archived sources in /h3/dyoung/cuw/trunk/src/.

Will someone help me out by figuring out how to put relative paths
(./src/) instead of absolute paths (/u1/luser/cuwin/src/) into the
object files?  Maybe gcc lets us do that; maybe we can "patch up" the
object files after compilation.  Maybe we can trick gdb into ignoring
the first N components of an absolute path.  If you can figure this out,
it will be a big help.