[CUWiN-Dev] default gateway/direct node access

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Jun 17 22:33:02 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 04:58:52PM -0500, tom wrote:
> I've been poking around some of the Race St. nodes and have discovered a
> couple of issues that I was hoping for some guidance on.
>
> First, Laura's node. With version 0.5.7 software and some good luck there
> seems to be a strong connection to Zach's node. It had been flaky previously,

Are you sure it could not have been some other node?  Maybe the node at
801 S. Walnut or at 707 S. Race?

> so maybe my strong signal was just a fluke. Regardless, however, I can't get
> it to automatically route data through Zach's node. If I perform a manual
> "route add default *zach's id*" then it works great. That's obviously not a
> permanent solution, though. Rebooting the node kills it, and it just won't
> automatically see what to do. Any ideas on why that might be happening? Could
> it be that it doesn't consider the signal reliable enough to use Zach's node
> as a default gateway? Is there a way to hack it so that for the time being at
> least it'll always use Zach's node (I realize this isn't helpful from a
> development standpoint, but it would be nice for Laura to have Internet
> access again). Might doing the /etc/permanent trick on the proper
> configuration file do it?

Laura was told to get Internet access by other means while we get the
bugs out.  If she has not, that's her own lookout.

> Second, Zach's node itself. From Laura's node I can SSH into it and work with
> it fine. But sitting right outside his house I can't seem to connect to it
> with my laptop, I can't ping it or anything.

That's about what I expect.  The antenna has low gain in the direction
of Zach's lawn and driveway.