[CUWiN-Dev] CUWiN 1.0 wishlist?

Paul Smith paul at cnt.org
Mon Jun 27 10:29:29 CDT 2005

David Young <dyoung at pobox.com> wrote on 23/Jun/05 at  5:20 PM:

> What do we need to do add/change in CUWiN before release 1.0?
> Discuss. :-) I am especially hoping for input from Bill & Paul at CNT.

I don't think there are any features that aren't currently in CUWiN that we'd
want to see or need before a 1.0. The key, critical issue for CNT is
stability. What we're looking for is a freeze on new feature development and
a focus on bug squashing and shoring up anything that could negatively impact
long-running systems. Since commits have tapered off over the last week or
so, maybe it's a good time to branch a release candidate. Absent an ability
to run simulations, our testing strategy would be to deploy to our test bed,
check for uptime and a basic suite of userland tests.

A couple of things that would help us are:

1. An idea of what NetBSD sources to use -- is there or will there be a
"blessed" set of sources (including possible patches not in -current)
associated with 1.0? Should your recent net80211 commits to NetBSD-current be
included?  If so are there any benefits associated with the net80211 changes
we should be aware of?

2. Guidance on how to test hslsd in a controlled way. What is your build/test
environment like? Do you have some sort of test setup that you feed packets
to hslsd with? How do you know when it's "ready"? We have a test bed in our
lab but it's difficult to control for certain variables, it would be nice if
we knew how to run hslsd like a brain in a vat to check for predictable
outcomes.

In trying to setup a multi-hop test bed we've had hslsd produce some
non-intuitive routing tables, had issues with nodes going offline only to
find them in the debugger when we check with the serial console (watchdog
seems to kick in right after we check serial console), and apparent
inconsistencies between the routing table and the routeviz output.
We'd like to verify that hslsd is functioning properly and learn how to
manually check its routing decisions from log or other output.

-Paul

--
Paul Smith            Center for Neighborhood Technology
http://www.cnt.org    Chicago, IL